Asian American Heritage Month Celebration: Strategy for Leon County Public Schools
Rationale: Why do we celebrate Asian American Awareness in schools?
- Our schools, like our society are becoming more diverse
- Teaching basic concepts removes misinformation and prejudice
- Understanding other cultures at a younger age instills respect for other groups
- Informing individuals without condemning others educates everyone
- Incorporate basic information about Asian American Heritage into county-wide curriculum
- Invite students to explore the similarities and embrace differences between cultures.
- Celebrate Asian Awareness Month
- Create scholarships that are open to all students
- Conduct an essay competition about Asian American Heritage and Culture
- Invite prominent Asian Americans to speak at school functions